As a garden pond owner there are seasonal procedures you should do to your pond in addition to maintaining it regularly. Regular pond maintenance will ensure the life of your pond liner and pond. By giving the fish and plants, which inhabit your pond the best ongoing care and attention will give you a much better chance of a clear, well balanced pond.
- Take out the de-icer or heater. Put the filter and pond pump back in and turn them on.
- Start feeding the fish again once the temperature reaches 10-degrees Celsius.
- Check the water level. If your fish were in the pond for the winter, add water at intervals to prevent the temperature or the balance of the water from changing too quickly. If you had your fish indoors, add water and balance the water before putting them back into the pond.
- Keep an eye on the algae levels.
- If the water is black, remove at least 1/3 of the water and replace, after getting rid of leaves and any other decomposed organic material.
- Fix up the border area, including pruning shrubs and plants.
- Check the pond netting and repair as necessary.
- If your pond is lined with a pond liner, check that there is no damage resulting in water leakage. If you lined your pond with a protective underlay , installed a good quality pond liner, not put any sharp objects into the pond and protected the edging from animals claws, the risk of a damaged pond liner is minimal.
Now is the time of the year you will be outdoors enjoying the beauty of your garden and tranquility of your pond!