Decorative rainwater butts with an integrated planter or aesthetic elegance of ceramics make harvesting rain water far more appealing. These rainwater butts, which are available in a range of shapes and sizes serve a multi-functional role in any size garden. Those stocked by Liners Online can store between 185 to 245 litres of rainwater thereby saving on the use of mains water supplies for outdoor use.
Rainwater harvesting is the technique used to collect, store and use rainwater for garden irrigation purposes or other uses where purified water isn’t essential. Rainwater butts including the decorative designs are easy to attach to a down-water pipe to collect the rain off the roofs of homes or any other man-made hard surface.
Many will argue that there is enough rainfall in the UK not to warrant the investment of a rainwater butt. Perhaps pointing out all the advantages will help understand and appreciate the many positive environmental aspects of investing in a rain butt. Rainwater can be used for many outdoor and indoor purposes such as to wash cars, clean patio furniture, wash windows as well as to water established plants during the dryer periods – particularly from July to September when ground water has become depleted.
The advantages of installing a rainwater butt
- Reduces the demand on mains water supplies
- Provides sufficient water for your garden during the drier months of summer when needs exceed rainfall amounts
- Rain water is preferred by plants (avoid using on seedlings) as it has a balanced pH value free of limescale and chemicals
- Reduces domestic water bills
- Promotes water conservation. Over extraction of ground water is damaging our wetlands
- Reduces the risk of flooding
- More environmentally friendly because no energy was used to pump water to where it is required.
Rainwater butts are available in many shapes and sizes to suit a range of budgets and garden types. Decorative butts are available with an integral planter or bird bath for a multifunctional use. They combine the aesthetic elegance of ceramics with the longevity of modern plastics. For more information about our range of rainwater butts, please visit the Garden Accessories category on Liners Line website.